Thursday, August 13, 2009

Blue ribbon


A blue ribbon floated into my window today
it was marked with green shadows
and was bordered by pale gray

in the center was a dot marked in ink
unsteady wavering
was the hand that held the pen I think

it smelled of lilac and faint vanilla musk
a small floating thread shook in the wind
like dried coconut husk

as you looked even closer
a small hole came through
probably a pin I thought or a metal brooch

it had come from the east the ribbon
it had flown in from the busy road
it seemed like a orphaned waif
with wolves at his throat

who had worn it whose chest it had adorned
or was it just tied loosely
around a fair maid’s throat

the sun went down I looked up to see
the clock had just struck nine
when I broke my reverie

examining the ribbon
was like giving it life
it seemed to glow now lustily
now mocking the neon light

it looked so different
in the night I thought
the hues changing subtly
melting like hoar


as it grew bolder
it started talking back
I am but a traveler it said
And am proud of every thread

Once I had flown through
a maelstrom full of ice
my soul almost died there
but I survived to fly

I have seen all seasons
All human emotions laid bare
Your life is but a ribbon
Floating flying in dense air

@SC ----17/04/2009

No comments: